Monday, June 18, 2007

Muse

An old acquaintance and now a new-found friend has been encouraging me to write more. Even after a long time of not pursuing this passion, of just gathering dust on the books I bought and would like to read, somehow her encouragement propels me to pick up the pen, or rather, divert my typing skills to a more favorable pursuit for myself. She lights that small flame of inspiration on me, and I am grateful. She reminds me of those last lines from one of my favorite movies of all time, "Shakespeare in Love."

In this finale, Viola, Will Shakespeare’s lover, helps him concoct the beginnings of a new comedy, as she is about to sail to America with her new husband from an arranged marriage. Will writes:

My story starts at sea…a perilous
voyage to an unknown land…a shipwreck


the wild waters roar and heave…the
brave vessel is dashed all to pieces,
and all the helpless souls within her
drowned


all save one … a lady

whose soul is greater than the ocean …
and her spirit stronger than the sea's
embrace … not for her watery end, but
a new life beginning on a stranger
shore


It will be a love story … for she will
be my heroine for all time
and her name will be … Viola.


To my muse, thank you.

1 comment:

Java_Junkie said...

Huwaw! WHO IS your Muse???

*****

Dammit! I'm still missing mine! *growls*