Thursday, September 21, 2006

I carry your heart with me

For mommy and daddy

When I imagine you as me
as a child with innocent eyes, vulnerable,
I am inexplicably filled like a child.
And I am overwhelmed with how I love you,
how I carry your heart with me,
how I carry it in my heart.

This exercise I will always keep,
For it is easy to resent you.
But it is only me that I really resent
when I blame you for not being there,
when I hate the way that we cannot see
the things in the same light.

Now, when I look at you
I remember that you are me.
Children, both programmed,
Values distorted, but once
possessed those innocent eyes.

Here is the secret everyone once knew,
here is the core of the core,
the depth of the depth of this
ocean called life; I know
I carry your heart with me,
I carry it in my heart.

(Inspired by ee cummings' poem of the same title and by the PSI seminar. 09.21.06 )

No comments: