Thursday, September 21, 2006

+Thoughts

You probably think, Ate,
That the millions of cubic meters of the Pacific
Divides us
and that you are, most certainly, estranged
from our home’s familiar sounds,
the whizzing of the aquarium’s filter,
the longing moan of Miming to her lover.

But what is amazing is that
my thoughts permeate the air that you breathe.
They become a part of you everyday.
The beads of sweat inching its way
down my forehead in this
perennial heat of Manila
I believe
is the same miraculous drops that surge
through your quiet life in California.

The mind is so powerful, Ate,
that it can, most certainly, dissolve
those millions of cubic meters of the Pacific.
It leaves us to find
that the land beneath your feet
Connects us
as it is the same land as mine.

So you see, Ate,
the sweet scent of our garden flowers
I thought of
is the very wisp of essence
You just inhaled
as you sit down for breakfast.
And this glorious moon beam
I perceived
radiates in the warmth
You feel
as you take in
the blissful morning sunshine.

4 comments:

Leng said...

hi jule! musta ka na?!

Tristan said...

hi jule! wow, blogger ka na, and another WOW, you really write great stuff! I'm already a fan, and truly loved your poem for your sister, or your parents, and the one about resignation. WOW again, that come to think, in all the years I've known you, I have not really seen your work and you have been too modest not to share it. But please let the outpouring of your great writing continue, and color the bland canvass of the world with your words. happy new year!

~ mahar :)

Jule said...

Hey Mahar, you're my first critic with a rave review! hehe! Thanks so much, and thanks for bugging me to take the PSI seminar. I hope it continues to leave positive impacts in our lives!

Happy new year!

Leng, I miss you. Happy New Year! I hope you had a great holiday season. Hope we could catch each other online soon to catch up.

Java_Junkie said...

Hey, friend!

I finally got to visit your blog, and the prose (poetry, in this instance) sure is 'swimming'.

The poem IS beautiful. It's so Filipino. None of that juvenile, foreign stuff young writers tend to coat their prose/poetry with. Just goes to show how little they know yet of themselves, of their context, of writing.

Keep writing.

I do so envy you.